May 13, 1-3pm
“Our Voice, Our Choice: An Art-In for Reproductive Rights in Rhode Island”
State Capitol Lawn
This interactive event brought together Rhode Islanders who support a woman’s right to make their own reproductive health choices, and the passage of The Reproductive Health Care Act (H. 5343/S. 0274), which ensures safe and legal access to abortion services in Rhode Island.
“The purpose is to show the legislature, through art projects and the act of gathering, that the majority of people in this state support the passage of the Reproductive Health Care Act,” says Mara Trachtenberg, a co-founder of The Woman Project. “Visual objects can be very compelling, because they resonate with people and the impact on political persuasion can complement more traditional forms of contact, like letters and phone calls. We’re also trying to make civic engagement fun and accessible.”
The Art-In featured:
• Performances by Girls Rock! RI
• Choral flash mob singing ‘I Cant Keep Quiet”
• A massive free yoga session with Aria Mia Loberti
• A giant scroll petition
• A Story Wall, where people can write their personal stories or messages of support.
• A human “Pass It” sign captured in an aerial photo.
• A knitting circle
• A Maypole and other activities for children
• The Five-Second Protest, an opportunity for attendees to make a short video statement of support.
• The Shimmy Mob, (Belly Dancing Flash Mob)
• Speaker Natalia Reagan, an anthropologist, primatologist, producer, host and comedienne. She was the co-host on Spike TV’s show 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty and is now the new All-Star host on Neil deGrasse Tyson’s podcast “StarTalk.”