We have all been crying and celebrating, but we did want to take a moment to reach out.
Joe Biden will be the next president of the United States and Kamala Harris will be the first woman and the first woman of color to be the Vice President.
This matters. It means we get to try to rebuild and push back on Trump’s agenda of hate and fear. It means women of color who have worked so hard to organize to make this moment happen can see themselves in the White House.
This means every little girl around this country can truly dream without limits!
Today we celebrate and tomorrow we get back to work. There will be tough fights ahead, but more than ever we truly believe that when we come together we can make a difference!
We have built a strong movement here in Rhode Island – a movement made of people who are going to keep showing up at every level to push for a vision of the future where we:
- Ensure affordable abortion access so that we can all determine the course of our futures and have control over our bodies;
- Close gaps in healthcare, especially for undocumented people;
- Protect Black and Brown people from criminalization and state violence;
- Reunite families and create a compassionate, just immigration system;
- Resist the roll back of the rights of transgender communities and guard against attempts to roll back LGBTQ+ rights;
- Secure a living wage, safe places workplaces with adequate protection and labor justice for all people, including our undocumented friends and neighbors;
- Win paid leave for all, so no one has to choose between caring for a loved one and the paycheck the need to care for their families;
- Improve access to birth workers and doulas and affordable prenatal and maternity care to address the maternal health crisis facing Black women;
And so much more.