The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA) is improving the lives of Rhode Islanders through common sense policies to hold corporations accountable and make our economy more fair. This matters to us because policies like this one will create a more equitable future.
- Lowers prescription drug costs by finally enabling Medicare to negotiate for lower prices, capping out-of-pocket costs at $2,000 a year for seniors and penalizing drug corporations that raise their prices above the inflation rate. This will save taxpayers and patients over $280 billion over the next ten years and increase access to affordable medicines for millions of people!
- Medicare will now be able to negotiate prices on some of the most used and most expensive medicines in the program and drug corporations that refuse to negotiate or that raise their prices faster than the rate of inflation will face monetary penalties.
- It also makes healthcare more affordable for 13 million working-age Americans who get their health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, saving them an average of $800 a year in premiums and ensuring that millions can continue to keep coverage in these uncertain economic times.
We are SO grateful to Senators Reed and Whitehouse and Representatives Langevin and Cicilline for their leadership on this law that has a number of smart, forward thinking ways to help people, the planet, and the economy and to make the tax system more fair.
This was a historic piece of legislation, but there is still work to do!
- Congress still needs to pass legislation to close the Medicaid coverage gap, so people throughout the country will have the same access to health coverage.
- Congress and state lawmakers should level the playing field and ensure that everyone in America has a fair shot at real opportunity, economic mobility and prosperity. We need to build an economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy and corporations. Learn more about Healthcare for America Now’s push for #HealthcareOverWealthcare!
- Federal lawmakers also need to address the very real challenge that overturning Roe v. Wade has created for the ability to plan our families and make critical decisions about our futures. Click here to speak out.
We have fought so hard to ensure reproductive rights and you can bet we are not stopping now when this is causing real harm! Whether it is making sure we can get the prescriptions we need to stay healthy or making sure we are not denied the basic right to bodily autonomy, we need Congress do more – and we demand that our state lawmakers need to take action to ensure that we can all not just get by, but plan ahead with health and dignity.
Our congressional delegation has been working hard to make things better – and you know that The Womxn Project is keeping up the fight. Together, we can create a healthier and more just Rhode Island!