The Womxn Project, the Women’s Fund of Rhode Island, COYOTE RI, the Latino Policy Institute, the Interfaith Coalition to Reduce Poverty, Haus of Codec, Reclaim RI, Old Lesbians Organizing for Change, the Women’s Democratic Caucus, BLM Pac, Amnesty International (RI Chapter), RI NOW, Youth Pride, Mom’s Demand Action, RI Rights, and the South County Huddle are coming together MARCH 15th to call on the General Assembly to take action this year to push for real and lasting change!
– – – – – – – – – –
The Rhode Island State House recently announced that beginning March 7, it will no longer accept call-in testimony during committee hearings, a policy that effectively reduces people’s State House access by forcing them to testify inside, in-person.
In response, The Womxn Project is hosting an outdoor gathering of progressive organizations on the State House front entrance area in an event called “Speak Out: For a More Just Rhode Island”, which will take place March 15, 3 – 7pm. The Speak Out will provide an opportunity for activists fighting for a range of progressive policy changes to safely meet, share resources, refuel, recharge, and ignite each other’s fire in preparation for their now more challenging fight for equity this legislative session.
The organizations gathering on March 15 are:
Amnesty International (RI Chapter)
Haus of Codec
Interfaith Coalition to Reduce Poverty
Latino Policy Institute
Mom’s Demand Action
Old Lesbians Organizing for Change
Rhode Island Democratic Women’s Caucus
Rhode Island NOW
South County Huddle
Women’s Fund of Rhode Island
The Womxn Project
There are very real changes facing our state. We need our state lawmakers to take action to work towards a more just Rhode Island.
We need our leaders to do more to ensure we can all:
- Plan our families, raise our children in safe neighborhoods and send them to quality schools,
- Get the support and health services we need to live with dignity,
- Actively address systems of oppression that harm Black, Indigenous and people of color.
We all deserve the chance to thrive. So what can we do about it?
Join us March 15th at the Rhode Island State House (82 Smith St, Providence) to leverage our collective strength to demand the kind of change we all need and deserve! We will be there from 3:00-7:00pm – stop by anytime to show your support!
- Advocates will be sharing information and calls to action on the kinds of policies we need passed THIS YEAR to meet the needs of youth, womxn, and families in our state.
- We are also inviting YOU to come grab the mic and make your voice heard. Whether you can come for an hour, just want to stop by in support, or are interested in sharing your story, we hope you will be there with us!
The event will be held outside with safe distancing. Activists are welcomed to share their thoughts and calls to action. It will also be live-streamed.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS and be there with us!
Questions? Contact us at [email protected] for more info.