– – – – – – May 13th – – – – – –
Join us for the Senate Judiciary Committee VOTE (5/16)
This Tuesday, the Senate Judiciary will vote on the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act. We need to be there in force.
We will not stop until this bill is signed – and we need YOU to keep up the fight with us!
CLICK HERE to let us know you’ll be there. We will share updates. So get your green shirt ready and be there for this exciting moment. Together, we WILL make sure every Rhode Islander has access to safe, affordable and equitable abortion care. Let’s do this!”
Take a quick five minutes to make a difference!
Send this email.
YES on S32, Equality in Abortion Coverage Act
“My name is ____. I am writing to urge you to vote YES the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (S32) when it comes before you on Tuesday.
Please, also vote NO on anti-abortion copycat bills (S347, 392, 397, 298) when they are scheduled for a vote. This is about health equity, closing gaps in care and ensuring we make our own decisions about our care and plan our families and future with dignity!”
– – – – – – – – – May 9th – – – – – – – –
We’ve heard from our allies in the Senate that a visual representation of EACA support is going to move lawmakers in our direction. So when the EACA is heard next Tuesday in the Senate Judiciary Committee, we need to show up in force. The EACA passed resoundingly out of the House – let’s use that momentum to get this bill passed this year!
Our bill is being heard alongside four anti-abortion bills, so it’s even more important that we show up to drown out the voices intent on skewering our rights.
- Senate Bill 298 would set up special, separate, medically unnecessary requirements for clinics that provide abortion. The bill masquerades as one that improves patient safety, but in reality, it’s about forcing providers to leap through onerous hoops, making it harder for them to provide care. Abortion is already safe!
- Senate Bills 347, 392, and 397 are all similar to the bills that were heard in the House. They use the terms “born alive” and “fetal pain” to push false rhetoric around how abortions are performed.
Four Things You Can Do Right Now To Help Pass This Bill:
1) Sign up to testify. It’s easy. Fill out this form, so we can provide you with support and details to get you there! Talking points and frequently asked questions may be found here. Once you fill out the form, we will send you a hearing guide.
The hearing is scheduled for NEXT TUESDAY, May 9, starting at 4pm in room 313 at the State House. Try to show up early to get on the list. We know our opposition will be there. We need to show up, too!
Not up for testifying? That is fine! Just show up! We will need large numbers there in pink or green to show that Rhode Islanders want this bill to pass in 2023! Fill out the form, so we can share any updates/details.
2) Submit Written Testimony. Written testimony needs to be submitted to the clerk: [email protected]. Include “FOR S32” in the subject and try to get it in right away, so it will make the deadline for written testimony. You can share a story or make the case or simply write your name, indicate you are a voter and that you want the committee to vote “yes on the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (S32).” We want to FLOOD them with testimony/emails of support.
3) Make one call today through Tuesday. Call Senate President Dominick Ruggerio (401-222-6655) to urge him to get this bill passed out of committee and voted on by the full Senate. Sample Voicemail/Email: “I am a Rhode Island voter. I am urging you to get a hearing confirmed and ensure the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act gets to the floor this year! This bill is needed to make the right to abortion real.” – You can also send an email ([email protected]), but PLEASE make the call and leave a message!
4) Send an email right now to the Senate Judiciary committee members. Copy and paste these addresses into an email to committee members. Be sure to include your name and city. [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Sample message: “I am writing to urge you to vote YES on S32, the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act when it comes before you on Tuesday, May 9th. Rhode Island voters pushed to protect the right to abortion. This bill makes sure that state employees and low-income people can afford care by getting rid of discriminatory bans on health coverage for abortion. Please, support this important legislation. Thank you.”
It will only take a moment – please, send an email ASAP!
We all worked so hard to protect the right to abortion, but there is no right if people can’t access it because of cost. Please, do what you can to help push this important — and needed — policy change!
PS- Send a note in thanks to Speaker Shekarchi and Majority Whip Kazarian in thanks for their work in getting the EACA passed out of the House. We do not take for granted the work it takes to do this work and we appreciate their listening to the calls of the people to get this bill passed this year. [email protected] | [email protected]