We are so grateful to everyone who came out to join us at the State House last night, including the folks who attended the rally to push for sensible reform to stop gun violence. It was a night that really embraced the idea of Reproductive Justice and the rights to control our own bodies, decide when and if we are ready to be parents or add to our families, and the right to parent our children and to live in safe and sustainable communities. This is the work ahead of us!
There were so many incredible stories and powerful remarks as abortion providers, advocates, and activists like YOU share testimony to urge support for the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act. You can read some quotes in our Twitter feed from the hearing and see coverage of the hearing on UpriseRI’s YouTube channel here.
The excitement of the week continues as the “Let RI Vote Act” is being signed into law next week – and of course the fight goes on! The work must continue every day of this session – and every day until we get this done and stop the bans on health for abortion that push care out of reach for far too many people in our state.
Abortion bans are racist. They are harmful. They need to go!
Here are five ways YOU can help right now:
(1) Urge Senator Cindy Coyne, the Chair of the Senate Judiciarty to show bold leadership and make sure to get the Equality in Abortion Coverage voted out of committee and up for a floor vote! You can call: 401-276-5583 and/or email: [email protected]. BOTH would be the best! Sample: “I am a Rhode Island voter. Now more than ever, we need to act to get rid of bans on health coverage that take away the right to abortion. Let the EACA out of committee. Get it to the floor for a vote THIS YEAR! Thank you.”
(2) Email the committee: “I’m a RI voter. I am urging you to hallt bans on abortion coverage and make sure to honor the fact that the majority of people in our state support the right to abortion. Please, vote Yes on S2549 and no on anti-abortion attacks.” Send to: [email protected]; [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected].
(3) THIS ONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT! Call Senate Pres Ruggierio (222-6655) & House Speaker Shekarchi (222-2447) – tell them: “After hearings with MAJORITY support for the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H7442/S2549) in House Finance and the Senate Judiciary Committees, it’s clear it’s time to halt abortion coverage restrictions and that Rhode Island voters agree! Let the bill out. Get this bill to the floor for a vote THIS YEAR!”
(4) Email [email protected] and [email protected] to say,”Rhode Island voters support the EACA (H7442/S2549). We have made that clear. Now more than ever with Roe on the line and the ongoing harm of abortion bans, we deserve to know where our lawmakers stand. Let the bill out of committee and get it to a floor vote THIS YEAR! Thank you.”
(5) Email House Finance Chair Marvin Abney: [email protected]. “A majority of folks testified in your committee in support the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H7442) and voters want this bill passed. Let’s get this bill to the floor THIS YEAR.”
NO MORE DELAYS. WE DEMAND A FLOOR VOTE. NO MORE GAMES. LET IT OUT!
Please, send the emails. Make the calls. We have to do all we can to get this done this year! Thank you for being in this with us. We are so grateful to be in community with you.