We all have a place to make change and as we prepare for beginning of session on January 3rd focusing efforts on passing the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (EACA) through a myriad of actions and style, we have a range of news that touch on topics we are watching and wanted to emphasize:
- RI Abortion Access: We met with a range of the organizational partners from the Campaign for Equal Abortion Coverage and are making some exciting plans in process to really RAMP UP in the 2023 session and get the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act passed! More to come, but be with us on Day One to show up in force!
- Local Injustice: After shocking news in a local case with a cop assaulting one of our board members and friend at our peaceful protest after Roe was overturned, advocates are again speaking up about the need to stop giving cops special rights & hold them accountable. We are proud to join folks in urging repeal of the Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights (LEBOR). Learn more.
- Respect for Marriage Act: The United States Senate resumed consideration of H.R.8404, the Respect for Marriage Act. No one should be discriminated against because of who they love or who they are. By a vote of 62-37, senators managed to defeat a filibuster attempt. That means that the Respect For Marriage Act is on a path to passage. Details can be found here – and you can take action to help ensure this important bill is enacted!
- Birth Control: It was also #ThxBirthControl Day on Wednesday – a national push to address barriers to contraception, including efforts to get access over the counter!
- Trans Health & Liberation: There is SO much we can do to take concrete actions to honor and support trans and gender nonconforming people! November 20th marks Trans Day of Liberation and or Transgender Day of Resilience so let’s make our own pledge!- Continue to show up for the rights, opportunities and dignity of transgender youth.– Support the Transgender Law Center’s Trans Agenda for Liberation.- Learn how the Trans Women of Color Collective uplifts trans and gender non-conforming people of color to achieve liberation for all who are oppressed.- There are also amazing organizations across our state, so make sure to get involved and support them as well – folks like LGBTQ Action RI, Youth Pride, Haus of Codec, and many more.
– – – – – – – – – – – – –
TWO UPCOMING EVENTS
❤️ Volunteer Meet-Up
Dec 7th, 6:30p, 189 Broadway, PVD
We are so thankful for the many powerful and passionate volunteers who help make The Womxn Project a force for change, and we’re showing our appreciation by hosting a this with food and drinks.
Please join us in celebrating and reflecting on everything we’ve accomplished together this year. Get to know our staff, some board members, get to know each other, and look to the future with us as we plan our actions leading up to the start of next year’s legislative session.
❤️ Save the date: Giving Tuesday
November 29th, all day
TWP is participating in this international day of giving. Stay tuned for more info.
– – – – – – – –
We hope that you will take some time for rest and relaxation over Thanksgiving. While we acknowledge the troubled origins of this day, we welcome the chance to spend time in community with our friends and family.
We send love to the many families facing this holiday season without their loved one due to gun violence, police brutality, mass incarceration, a harmful immigration system or any other systemic or state sanctioned oppression that tears apart our communities!
Together we are working to create a more just Rhode Island and that MUST include transgender liberation, justice, and equality for LGBTQ+ people!