We have been reeling from the Supreme Court effectively overturning Roe v. Wade. Just in case you have been living under a rock, SB 8, the Texas law that the Supreme Court let take effect during the wee morning hours last week:
- Prohibits abortion after six weeks’ gestation, before many people even know that they are pregnant; and
- Creates a bounty system that punishes anyone who tries to help a person get an abortion, for example, a minister providing counsel, an abortion fund giving financial asistance, or an Uber driver, family member, or friend who drives someone to a clinic.
The Texas abortion ban is cruel and depraved. We took a moment to be upset, but now we must act! We hope you will join us.
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW:
1) DONATE. If you have anything to give, donate to abortion funds in Texas or Louisiana or Mississippi or Alabama and of course Rhode Island’s fund is still important as we limit anyone who does not have health insurance. These abortion funds are helping fund and coordinate abortion care for those Texans that will be denied care because of SB 8.
2) ADVOCATE. We expect all of our federal electeds to do all they can to support abortion access, specifically, we need them to openly and vocally support the Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA). The WHPA creates a federal statutory right for health care professionals to provide abortion care and the right for their patients to receive care, free from medically unnecessary restrictions that single out abortion care. Senator Reed, Senator Whitehouse, and Rep. Cicciline all support the WHPA. Rep. Langevin needs to make it LOUD AND CLEAR that he will do the right thing and support WHPA.
a. CALL AND EMAIL Rep. Langevin TODAY (or once Rosh Hashanah ends) and every day until the US House is back in session on September 20. Yes, that is many days and that is ok! We are aiming for 1000 calls this week!!
“Like the majority of Rhode Island voters, I believe abortion is a personal decision and critical healthcare that should be protected, not judged or taken away by medically unnecessary requirements that make it harder to seek or provide abortion. I am urging Rep. Langevin to join the rest of the Rhode Island delegation and sign on as a co-sponsor of the Women’s Health Protection Act and vote yes when it comes before the US House of Representatives.”
Langevin’s Contact Info:
- 401-732-9400 (Rhode Island)
- 202-225-2735 (DC)
- Email: https://langevin.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
b. POST IT on SOCIAL “Majority of RI voters believe abortion is a personal decision & should NOT be taken away by medically unnecessary requirements. TY @SenWhitehouse, @SenJackReed & @davidcicilline for your support. @JimLangevin, it’s time to #ActforWomen & sponsor the Women’s Health Protection Act!”
Let’s channel our rage and disgust into ACTION.
As a preview of what’s to come, we have plans to get out, go up, and grow in our voice and collective actions ((fun things to come!!)