A lot of people are tired and want to take a break. The legislative session is almost over but regardless, we will remain focused on the betterment of healthcare for Womxn and families. So there are TWO quick little actions we would like you to use your signature on!
It is often said that a budget is a statement of priorities. It shows what matters to people.
- Women should matter.
- Families should matter.
- Access to quality medical care should matter – and that includes abortion.
Our communities are still trying to survive a pandemic. Black, Indigenous and other people of color, low-income families and people with disabilities in our state have been especially hard hit. It is more important than ever that we do all we can to ensure each of us makes a living wage, has a safe place to live and that everyone has access to the full-spectrum of health care they need.
The governor and our state lawmakers are in the process of finalizing the budget for 2022. We have a chance to make sure that it reflects our values!
1) Contact the Senate Finance Committee. They are hearing a budget proposal on Thursday around support for low-income families who use RI Works, a state program that provides financial assistance. We are proud to work in coalition to advocate for these important changes!
- Copy and paste these emails into a message: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] and [email protected].
- Put “FOR Article 13, Section 5 of the Governor’s budget” in the subject.
- Sample Message: “I am writing in support of Article 13, Section 5 of the Governor’s budget. Providing the clothing allowance to infants and toddlers and excluding income when a parent starts a job will improve economic well-being for families receiving RI Works. However, to provide a real boost to families, the General Assembly must enact an increase in the monthly benefit, as provided in Senator Murray’s bill. Please, also ensure this is made a priority in the FY 2022 budget. We can and we must do more to ensure the financial security and wellbeing of families in our state.”
2) Add your voice to a petition to Governor Dan McKee urging him to show bold leadership and take a critical first step toward realizing this vision by eliminating abortion coverage restrictions from the Rhode Island state budget for Fiscal Year 2022.
This is a crucial moment for Black and Brown communities, women, LGBTQ folks, immigrants, and young people. Our communities are still trying to survive a pandemic. It is more important than ever that we do all we can to ensure we can all live with health and dignity. Take action TODAY!
Our leaders have an opportunity to create a budget that reflects our values and truly meets the needs of women and families, people of color, and low-income Rhode Islanders.