The Womxn* Project (TWP) is a statewide organization dedicated to building a strong movement that harnesses the power of art, activism and advocacy. We believe that together we can dismantle systems of oppression and uplift the voices of people in our communities throughout Rhode Island in order to shift power and shape the policies that impact our lives and the lives of our neighbors.
We commit to embodying the principles of reproductive justice, cultivating innovation and advancing real and lasting change.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
We have a proven history of making an impact by utilizing a multipronged approach incorporating ARTivism, education, community organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter engagement.
- ARTivism: Art is a powerful way to communicate human experience, thoughts and ideas. Throughout history artists have created work to address political, cultural, and social issues relevant to their time and place. Within The Womxn Project Educational Fund, we will engage ARTivism as a way to look for new ways to disrupt the political system, change the conversations, and move beyond traditional paradigms of activism.
- Education: Within The Womxn Project Educational Fund, we will provide engaging, informative and substantive information to help raise awareness about key issues and ensure people can understand not only what is at stake, but also how they can get involved.
- Community Organizing: We will continue to develop an active, engaged network to leverage our collective strength in order to make sure we have the ability to shape systems and generate positive change. We will ensure that the needs and lived experiences of people pushed to the margins are not only included, but centered.
- Legislative Advocacy: We will work to oppose policies that would cause harm. We will also to advance policies that not only meet the needs of our communities, but also advance our vision of a future where we can all live with dignity. We will do so by activating volunteers to contact elected officials and be part of the political process, and also by maintaining a strong presence throughout the state in every district and at the State House. We will be vocal, passionate, organized, and united!
- Voter Engagement: We will register voters and encourage people to get involved in local elections. We will train volunteers to increase the skill-base of our activist network. We will work to design and implement integrated voter engagement initiatives to help connect people to different opportunities to be part of local races. We will also educate our activists about the issues up for consideration during the legislative session as well as the actions and statements of elected and appointed officials.
The Womxn Project does not endorse candidates. Our volunteer leaders may give their time or money to a particular candidate, but we as an organization will not recruit or endorse one candidate over the other.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- do our work with integrity and with an eye to innovation in order to be creative and strategic.
- look for opportunities to work in coalition; we will build strong, cross-movement partnerships.
- help people to engage in the systems that shape and impact our lives. We will harness our collective power to push for true equality, for reproductive justice and human rights, and for the liberation of us all.
- develop programs that have impact, and we will invite opportunity for engagement throughout the state.
- center those most impacted by systemic issues and model a way of doing work that empowers people to be part of making the changes and providing the structural supports that will create more equitable tomorrows. By doing this work, we will lift many and different voices.
- work to connect with and support coalition partners and to use an intersectional approach to our programs and campaigns.
*Womxn includes cis women, trans people, non-binary and gender-fluid people. We appreciate and value a broad range of gender expressions and identities.