“Restrictions on access to reproductive health care are not only at odds with stated values, such as equity and inclusion, but they also affect the ability to ensure equal participation for women or improve the health and wellness of people in our state.”
– The Womxn Project’s Tammy Brown in the Providence Journal
– – – – – – – – – – –
A majority of lawmakers in our state say that they support the right to abortion, but that’s an empty commitment if they are not using their power to make sure that people can actually afford care. The governor and the leadership in the House and Senate are making big decisions NOW about the state budget. We need your help to make it clear that WE DO NOT WANT TO SEE ABORTION BANS in our state budget!!
There are days left to get this done. Please, make one call, send one email and make one post on social media. WE NEED YOU!
1) Make one call. Contact Governor Dan McKee (401-222-2080)
Urge him to remove abortion coverage bans from the FY 22 budget.
- Script: “My name is ___. I am calling to urge you to show bold leadership by eliminating abortion coverage restrictions from the Rhode Island state budget for Fiscal Year 2022. This reflects our values, closes gaps in care and lives up to the goal of advancing health equity in our state. No more abortion coverage bans in our budget. Thank you.”
(you can send a message, but please make a call TODAY – time is running out)
2) Send one email. It’s two people, but they can be on one message.
Contact House leadership, Representatives Joe Shekarchi and Chris Blazejewski and urge them to ensure a vote on the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H5787), our bill to halt bans on coverage for state employees and people who use Medicaid (rep-shekarchi@rilegislature.
- Sample: “Hello. I am writing to urge you to make sure that the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H5787) is put up for a vote THIS YEAR. Our communities are still trying to survive a pandemic. It is more important than ever that we do all we can to ensure we can all live with health and dignity and that includes getting rid of obstacles to healthcare, including abortion. We should not put up extra barriers for people who happen to get their healthcare through a public program. Please, put this important bill up for a vote.”
3) Share on post on social media. Help spread the word and show that people care!
- Sample: We need our elected officials to show leadership when it comes to closing gaps in access to the care we need! @GovDanMcKee: Take abortion coverage bans out of the FY 22 budget. @RIspeaker & @CBlazejewski: It’s time to pass the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H5787)!
Did you know that if we got rid of state-level abortion restrictions about 1,548 more women in Rhode Island would be able to maintain employment and better meet the needs of their families? We are done waiting. Speak out with us and demand that our elected officials take action!