We have been letting people know that TODAY the House Judiciary Committee will be considering FIVE different bills designed to insult people who provide and seek abortions and put up additional barriers.
In addition to these bills, there is also a big push at the State House today around S2007/H7100, a bill to improve access and opportunity to vote in Rhode Island and S2216/H7225, a resolution to take steps towards allowing for same day voter registration.
The Womxn Project is proud to be part of the Let RI Vote Coalition and knows that all of the issues we care about from racial to reproductive to economic justice are intrinsically linked to the ability to vote and to have a say in who crafts the policies that impact our families, our health, and our lives.
So today….we are asking you to speak out with us – there are many ways to do so in person, at your home, or office!
JOIN US & OUR FRIENDS AT THE STATE HOUSE:
- The Womxn Project is meeting up with a SLEW of passionate, amazing activists who want to speak out by testifying or just showing up in person to show support the right and access to abortion. Add to that growing number of people. Our amazing volunteer leader, San will be there starting at 4pm to support anyone showing up with TWP (808-218-1541 or [email protected]).
- The Rhode Island Coalition for Reproductive Freedom will be holding a lobby day starting at 3pm. For anyone who is able to head up early, they will have greeters there and we encourage you to be part of this action.
- The Let RI Vote Coalition’s Cristin Langworthy will be at the Senate library to support folks in lobbying in support of important bills to improve and ensure voting access.
CAN’T BE THERE? YOU CAN STILL TAKE ACTION:
- You can still speak out by sending a quick email RIGHT AWAY to the committee. (Click here to copy and paste these addresses and send to full committee – sample message below).Subject: NO ON H7306, 7307, 7405, 7458 and 7189 (YES on H7442/7443/7454)
I am writing to express strong opposition to the anti-abortion bills being heard today (H7306, 7307, 7405, 7458 and 7189). These are deceptive attacks on the right to abortion. Rhode Island voters have made it clear they believe people should have access to care. These bills are out of touch with our values. We should instead be supporting every Rhode Islander’s ability to make their own decisions about planning their families and futures including bills to ensure access to care for the full range of pregnancy related options like H7442 and H7443.
- You can make ONE call to the Chair Rep. Bob Craven to urge him to table the attacks on the right to abortion and instead support the Equality in Abortion Coverage. It’s one call, but SOOOO important (Rep. Craven – 401/294-2222).Sample (short) script: I am calling to express concern that instead of ensuring access to abortion by advancing bills like the Equality in Abortion Coverage Act (H7442), the House Judiciary is hearing a bunch of attacks on the right to abortion that Rhode Island voters fought so hard to protect. This is not in line with our values – or the needs of the people of our state.
- You can also take a moment to send a virtual letter to leadership in the General Assembly to push them to keep the Let RI Vote Act moving! Click HERE – only takes a moment, but makes a big difference!
Whether you can come out to the State House or not, there are ways for you to make a difference and make your voice heard TODAY! Thank you so much for being in this with us.