Did you know that 3 in 10 women will have an abortion during the course of their lives and that many transgender and gender nonconforming people will also need to seek abortion care?
When a person needs to end a pregnancy, it is important that they have access to safe medical care. Providing insurance coverage ensures they will be able to see a licensed, quality health care provider, but that fact is that right now in Rhode Island we have harmful policies that take away health coverage for abortion. Together, we can change this!
The 2020 Rhode Island General Assembly kicked things off on Tuesday and we were there! The Womxn Project hosted a panel to talk about the bans on health coverage.The goal was to make people aware that these limitations exist and how they impact real people in our state. We recorded the very powerful remarks shared by the speakers, including state employee, Mikaila Arthur and Daria-Lyric Montaquila, an individual who uses Medicaid.
!! You may view it here !!
We were heartened that so many activists came out to join us for this event. We asked you to show up in your Womxn Project t-shirts to make a strong showing on the first day – and so many people did!
The Womxn Project is proud to coordinate the campaign to get rid of the policies that take away health coverage for people who use Medicaid and for state employees, but we need you to keep showing up with us!
- Be part of “Wednesdays with Caroline,” our weekly gathering at the State House to talk with lawmakers. JOIN US!
- Join our super successful postcarding program. GET A PACKET and help on your own time.
- Host a house party. We provide supplies and can send a member of our team. HOLD A PARTY.
- Invest in the work we are doing to build a stronger movement for change in Rhode Island. MAKE A DONATION TODAY!
- Attend our upcoming “Showing Up for Reproductive Justice” training held by Tiara Mack. Learn more about how you can not only advance reproductive rights, but make a difference to end oppression and secure liberation while centering those harmed most (that’s reproductive justice). GET INFORMED (register)
- Save the date for our Roe event in the rotunda! We are holding a special event at the State House on January 22nd to commemorate the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision affirming the right to abortion. CELEBRATE ROE!